Friday, February 19, 2010

Tied to Technology

Today was quite an interesting day in the office! We arrived this morning to find that our computer system had been "upgraded" to Windows 7. If you were a fly on the wall in my office today, here are a few of the comments you would have heard:

"Ok B, so HOW do I log on??"
"Where did all my icons go?"
"(Gasp!) B, all my favorites are gone!"
"What happened to the communicator?"
"WHAT HAPPENED TO OUTLOOK?"
"WHAT HAPPENED TO WORD?"
"I have to do WHAT to get my printers back?"
"I have to do THAT to get Sharepoint to work?"
"What do you mean, I have to configure spell check?"
"WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR DATABASE??"
"What are printer drivers and where do I get them?"
"If you can't make this work, can I go home?"

You get the idea. Our Department has been tied to technology for about 13 years now, but every time a change is made, you would think we'd never turned on a computer before in our lives! If it weren't so aggravating, it would be funny! If you are at all tech savvy, I'm sure you're laughing as you read this, or, if you are a computer tech, you are no doubt rolling your eyes! I think I can sum up the feelings in our office today with one sentence:

"I'M A P.C.....AND WINDOWS 7 WAS NOT MY IDEA!!"

2 comments:

  1. LOL - I'm going to forward this to my fiancee who practically invented the internet as we know it today. In fact, he is the only person in the history of Microsoft who was featured on the cover of their quarterly newsletter who was not (and is not) an employee of theirs.

    I get it. Every time he does something to upgrade my computer, I cringe. I'm good at computers, but I am an artist, not a techie.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Laura!! Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete