Thursday, February 11, 2010

Creative Ties

The last weekend of this month, I am attending something called Creative University. It is a scrapbooking retreat of sorts, and I am very much anticipating the experience.

I've never considered myself a very creative person, but I've always enjoyed the arts, and I very much enjoy crocheting, cross-stitching, and making Ukranian Easter eggs. Many years ago, I took classes to learn to make stained glass, and I loved it!! But, it's only been in the last 5 years that I've experimented with paper crafting, and I find that I absolutely love it!

Anyway, a close friend and I signed up for Creative University, thinking we would experience a wonderful, educational weekend of scrapbooking techniques, card making and other paper-related crafts. What it has become is much, much more than that! The facilitator of C.U. put up a web page so all of us attendees could become "acquainted" prior to the actual weekend. We've discovered that these are a group in incredibly talented ladies, and in addition to the paper crafting, they are also quite the jewelry makers!

Being the adventurers that we are, my friend and I signed up for every little contest and side-shop being held. One of these is a charm swap. Everyone makes a charm for a bracelet, and when we get to C.U., the bracelets will be assembled. When I realized what I'd gotten myself into, I panicked, but J. talked me off the ceiling and assured me that I would be able to do it and she would be there to help. And so here I sit, nearly midnight, about 2 weeks before C.U., baking my "charms" for the charm swap. My creations leave a lot to be desired, but I'm oddly proud of them and if nothing else, they'll provide comic relief for the bracelets. And, while they bake, I can get my blog posting done for the day! I'll sleep tonight with a feeling of accomplishment, and 15 of the most "unique" charms any of the women will ever wear! Let the creativity begin!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a wonderful weekend!! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing more about this. We really are quite a bit alike. I think we have both been closet creative junkies for a long time, but finally we are making the most of it! Who said life ended at forty? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hooo! It's going to be so fun! :) I'm excited to meet everybody and have a creative blast :)

    Inky Smiles!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete