Thursday, January 7, 2010

HAPPY JACKASS DAY!!

Today was Jackass Day on the mountain. In 1968, they opened a ski hill in our town (that's what we called them back then). They named it Jackass Ski Bowl. Today was the 41st anniversary of that opening. Today, our little ski hill is a full-fledged ski resort known as Silver Mountain. We have a beautiful little gondola village at the base of the mountain, complete with condos, restaurants, shops, and a very impressive indoor water park. Not to mention "the world's longest gondola". And today, to commemorate the grand opening of the "ski hill", Silver let everyone ski for $7.00 - The price of a lift ticket in 1968. I didn't realize this when I made my way to work this morning. As I arrived at the gondola base, the road running out front was literally choked with snowboarders and skiiers, to the point I could barely get through to travel on to work! I couldn't IMAGINE what must be going on to cause all the fuss on a Thursday morning at Silver. When I got to work, I asked several people what they thought was happening. It was a gloriously sunny day, so a few speculated that it was just a fantastic day to ski. I was skeptical however. I couldn't imagine THAT many adults and young people skipping work and school just to ski the mountain on a sunny day. Curiousity finally consumed me, so I pulled up the website to see what all the fuss was about. And that's when I learned of the anniversary. "Oh", I said rather loudly, "It's Jackass Day".

Now I don't work in a large office. It is an agency of state government, and we frequently work with a very disgruntled bunch of public citizens. Some can be downright rude at times. We of course cannot actually SAY they are rude - Not within earshot of our customers, anyway! So, as I cheerfully, loudly announced that it was Jackass Day, you can imagine the consternation on the face of the office manager as she came flying out of her office, headed my way!! The gal sitting across from me also looked a little horror-stricken; mortified that I would make such a public announcement! It didn't take me long to realize my blunder, and I immediately explained the reasoning for my remark. Both of these ladies immediately burst into laughter and relief, happy to learn that I had not just gotten off the phone with an unhappy customer and decided to declare a new holiday.

It is said that this mountain town was discovered by a jackass and is inhabited by it's descendants. Today everyone learned that I am, without a doubt, a proud native!

HAPPY JACKASS DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment