Friday, February 27, 2009

My Baby Girl

(Another meandering from the past...)
Let me tell you something about the birth of my daughter: When I discovered I was pregnant with her, my first thought was "I'm starting all over again". I had 2 sweet boys, and had just gotten my 2nd son out of diapers. I wasn't sure I was up to the challenge, but I was excited about having another child. I REALLY, REALLY hoped that I would have a girl. In 1978, pregnancy had not yet become so clinical - We didn't know the sex of our babies until they were born, unless there was some kind of problem. I wanted a girl so badly that I became very superstitious. I refused to buy anything "girly", for fear I would "jinx" the chance of having a girl. Girls didn't exactly run in my family! The day finally arrived when she was born. It was SOOO different than the boys. The doctors kept insisting I was not in labor. Well, it sure felt like labor, but I trusted doctors to know what they're doing, so I just layed there, reading my book "The Endless Steppe". And it wasn't until the night nurse came in and checked me that I knew I wasn't having phantom pains..."you're going to have that baby in this bed!", she said. And then, she was born....Black hair (that immediately went away), the bluest blue eyes....And a GIRL! I was in heaven! I couldn't believe it was true! And boy, did I want a cheeseburger!! My husband came in and with a smirk said, "You always get your way, don't you?" He thought it might be fun to have "My 3 sons", but HA-HA-HA! I had my baby girl! And all was right with the world! On August 1st, a Tuesday night, 7pm, my life changed forever. My best friend, my buddy had been born! Evidently, her father came to grips with the fact that she was a girl, or else he was just giving me grief about "My 3 Sons", because the day we brought her home, he went straight to town and bought almost every baby dress he could get his hands on! And there were some adorable dresses, too! And thus began the life of my daughter. My precious, sweet, punkin heart. She's grown now, with a sweet little child of her own, but those 1st moments are ones I'll cherish forever!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh! Well this is going to make me cry. How sweet! I love you. Carly

    ReplyDelete