Thursday, January 29, 2009

Identity Crisis?

I am in the process of moving some posts from my old blogsite to this one. Here is one of my very first "meanderings"....

You know, I've wanted to "blog" since I first heard the word. I thought about it - all the life experiences I've had and how I could record them in a blog. At first I found a private blog site, because Lord forbid someone read my thoughts! I signed up, but never got the gumption to actually write. Recently, I discovered that several of my old friends from high school were "blogging" on a regular basis. I visited their sites and was totally captivated. They all seem so carefully organized, with pictures accompanying each message. Profound quotes sprinkled throughout the blogsite. Pure inspiration. "I can do that", I told myself. "I've reached an age where I can put my thoughts on paper in an organized, entertaining manner". And I WANT to do that!

And so, I found this blogsite and signed up. And I immediately realized that I may not, in fact, be ready to create a blog. First thing, I'm asked to select a symbol that bests describes me. Well, let's see... Certainly not a picture of myself!! No, let's pick something more anonymous to start....Let's see....Ocean waves breaking on a pristine shoreline? Nooo, although I do dearly love the ocean. An eagle soaring in a cloudless sky? Too dramatic. A child lovingly gazing into the camera, holding a daisy under her cherubic chin? Cute, but not me. Well, how about a cute little Pekingese dog? YIKES! I'm well into middle age, but I don't yet consider myself a DOG!! Well, what, what, what identifies me? And then - THERE IT IS!! UN-ASSUMING...HONEST...IN YOUR FACE......AN OSTRICH!! So that is now the representation of "who I am". A damned old, obnoxious, beady-eyed ostrich!! I love it!! It's "me".

How funny that in my quest to identify "who I am", I have learned that I am content and happy to be represented by a big, flightless bird. I have an identity and am ready to move forward.....

Now, what the HECK do I write about?


(Written May 31, 2007)

2 comments:

  1. Your new look looks so great. I really love the poem on your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, IEG! I may get the hang of this blogging thing yet!

    ReplyDelete