Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Difficult Gift.....

This graph shows the improvement I made during my time with Dr. Grant.

After a wonderful visit with my kids, I flew back home to Idaho. One week later, I returned to work. Since then, my life has pretty much returned to normal, or at least my life's definition of it!
Years ago, I found this verse while on a visit to the Oregon coast....

~Those who can perceive eternity in the sea
Understand there is no death - Only change...
No loss - Only difficult gifts~

I've always believed that God placed us on earth to learn, and that there is a lesson within every experience. This latest experience reinforced that belief for me in ways I never imagined. I learned that my husband is a wonderful, forgiving man, with more patience than I believe I will ever have. I've learned that for every doctor out there who seems to view their patients as nothing more than walking dollar signs, there's another whose craft has become their vocation; Who views their patients as hurting, feeling humans in need of a little compassion, and one who remembers always to "first, do no harm".

I learned that friends are amazing treasures. I was touched and encouraged by those who cared enough to continue to call, email and ask about me, even after I failed to return their calls, reply to their emails or even visit with them when they came to my door! THESE people are truly inspirational. I have learned from their example, and I am so very grateful to still have them as friends. I will strive to be at least half the friend they've been to me.

I've learned that although my children are grown and live their lives very far from me, they truly do love me and will not hesitate to be there for me when I need them. This perhaps is the most precious lesson of all. How many mothers have wondered if their grown children still love and care for them? And how many children are willing, in this difficult age, to pre-empt their lives to stop and help their parents in need?
When I began this "adventure", I viewed it with dread as a curse. But through this adventure, I have come to know it as more of a difficult gift. I have learned that life itself is an incredible thing. That as dark as it seems at times, you can learn to find the light. I've learned that my youth is not lost, but lives quietly within me as I am introduced to middle age and all of the adventures it will bring. And most importantly, I've learned that I am not on this journey alone - My family and friends accompany me.

Thank you Lord, for difficult gifts.

1 comment:

  1. very nice blog. You failed to mention your kids also love you enough to tolerate your unbelievably bad microwave skills with a cinnamon roll and downright shitty "ash-out-the-car-window" ability. But you are correct...we love you and are behind you all the way.
    I am proud and inspired by you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete