Saturday, December 6, 2008

Side Roads...

Wiser and More Distracted
27 May 2008, by marciamarciamarcia

Older Brain Really May Be a Wiser Brain
By SARA REISTAD-LONGPublished: May 20, 2008

New research suggests that memory lapses that occur with age might be a sign of a widening focus of attention. When older people can no longer remember names at a cocktail party, they tend to think that their brainpower is declining. But a growing number of studies suggest that this assumption is often wrong. Instead, the research finds, the aging brain is simply taking in more data and trying to sift through a clutter of information, often to its long-term benefit.....

There are at least 10 other things I should be doing right now besides blogging. It is Saturday for heavens sake, the day I should be cleaning house, doing laundry, or any number of other things any responsible woman would do on Saturday. Oh, don't get the wrong idea! Most of the time, I actually enjoy responsibility and I commit to the responsibilities I'm given. Sometimes, however (like now), my brain seems to become uncontrollably distracted, and when this happens, I have no choice but to roll with it. It's not something that happens regularly. Sometimes I actually welcome it because it can be rather cleansing. All the garbage that has managed to enter my brain is somehow released, leaving me able to think much more clearly. It's not unlike freeing up space on the hard drive of your computer. Sometimes I wish I could make it happen on command and other times, I wish it never happened because I can't get any one thing done! The only way I can explain it is to allow you to climb inside my head and take a look for yourself...

(Typical thought process in distracted mode)

Hmmm, I really have a lot to get done today. Get the house cleaned so you don't have to worry about it on what should be a day of rest. Finish making the Christmas gifts and oh, go get some wrapping paper and ribbon so you can wrap the gifts you have finished....Is Walmart open all night? Wonder what's on TV? Cool! "I Love Lucy"...I LOVE Lucy! I could watch it all day...Oh, what's this? A Christmas movie! I LOVE old Christmas movies. And BONUS! Jimmy Stewart is in it. I just love Jimmy Stewart...
Well, are you just going to lie here all day? What about your blog? You actually have 2 followers now! You really need to keep updating regularly so they will continue to follow...Geez, I'll be glad when I get through telling about my sojourn through the hell of depression...I need something to listen to...I'll turn TV onto the satellite station with non-stop Christmas carols....Wow, this coffee table really needs dusting and who keeps moving stuff around on here? I put these things in a certain place for a reason, you know!

Hi birds! Hi my birdas, how are you doing today? Need some water, Rosie? Ok, mom will get you some water. Hi, L.V.! You need some water too? No? Well! You don't need to hiss at me! I promise I'll let you out later, buddy...Don't get so mad at me! Ok Rose, here's your water - Your food looks good....Well, not "good" exactly, it's just seeds after all...Must look good to you though, huh? Ok, guess I'll go blog. Check out your favorite blog sites first to see how they're doing...Oh look, CW's doing a Christmas alphabet (wonder how she'll deal with 'i'?) And look at CR's site. That picture she's got at the top is so cute and it's just how I remember her! In my mind, she'll always be 4 years old! Funny, since she's actually become quite accomplished, with her wonderful husband and 3 lovely daughters, her work and all that. I'll link over to RP -GEEZ, he hasn't posted since Nov 23rd! What the heck? Yea, you're the one to talk, mtnmuddah! Get posting...

Wait, I need to get a soda. Man, every dish in the house is dirty, what's up with that? Wonder what's going on at Huck's website....Oh look! Carly has some new photos of herself and Carson on her MySpace page...Geez, that guy in front of her has curly hair...wonder if she knows him...BLOG, DAMMIT! Oh, I can't think. Do something concrete...Start the clothes....Colored first...Hey look, Cody threw all his dirties out here this time. That kid is really shaping up for his Aunt! Colors first...Hmm, not too much laundry this week. Better look under the bed....BLOG!!! Ok, new post. See if you can get your comments to work...Nope. Boy, I really like that ostrich at the top of my page...or is it an emu? I want it to be an ostrich...Tia thinks it's an emu....Maybe it is...What's the difference between an ostrich and an emu? Must be like a wallaby and a kangaroo, or a whippet and a greyhound....
And on it goes....The day is gone and nothing is done yet! Do you ever get into one of these modes? Please tell me you do! I really haven't made any progress on this blog, either! I still have to write about my second week with Dr. Grant and let everyone who cares and doesn't know yet how things turned out. But first, I need to get those clothes in the dryer, and OMG! you're watching Christmas Vacation!! Can you start it over so I can watch it too.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment