Saturday, November 22, 2008

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy....

...is a psychotherapeutic approach that aims to influence problematic and dysfunctional emotions, behaviors and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic procedure...CBT treatments have received empirical support for efficient treatment of a variety of clinical and non-clinical problems, including mood disorders, anxiety disorders, personality disorders, eating disorders, substance abuse disorders, and psychotic disorders. It is often brief and time-limited. (Taken from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

My 2nd visit with Dr. Grant was a brief review of our previous session, then we quickly moved on. In these 1st visits, I learned an amazing number of things: That there are 5 components to any problem: environment, physical, moods, behaviors, and thoughts. Each of these components affects and interacts with the others, so small changes in one area can lead to changes in the other areas. If I could learn to identify these 5 components in my own problems, I could better understand them, making it easier to see what areas I could target for change. It's really not as complicated as the books make it sound!

I learned the difference between feelings and moods, which was enlightening because I always looked at the two as being more or less the same. In fact, feelings are shorter and more fleeting - moods can go on for long periods of time. It's important to realize that your thoughts influence your moods. I learned ways to look at my problems from all sides - the positive, negative, and the neutral. Doing this enables me to look at my problems more objectively and helps me to open my mind to discover several (yes, SEVERAL!) solutions to my previously "unsolvable" problems. I can then choose the best solution to resolve that problem. When I learned a little about the theory behind cognitive therapy, it sounded so simple that in my head, I kept thinking "DUH!" However, when I committed to learn about the theory and methods behind this therapy, I realized that I would have to open my mind far enough to block the preconceived notions and openly learn to understand and apply the methods Dr. Grant was attempting to teach. THAT is not as easy to do when you are in as dark a place as I was during those first few visits!

No comments:

Post a Comment