Saturday, April 11, 2009

...For Better or Worse (photography by my husband)

According to Wikipedia, ospreys usually mate for life. Rarely, polyandry has been recorded. I believe Kelly has managed to capture one of these rare occasions. Read on and I'll show you why... Ah, the beauty of an Osprey. So majestic - So graceful. The Osprey (Pandion haliaetus), sometimes known as the sea hawk, is a diurnal, fish-eating bird of prey. It is a large raptor, reaching 60 centimeters (24 in) in length with a 1.8 metre (6 ft) wingspan. It is brown on the upperparts and predominantly greyish on the head and underparts, with a black eye patch and wings. This Osprey appears to be spreading his wings in an attempt to enjoy our recently spring-like weather.But wait! What have we here? This is no carefree Osprey out for a leisurely soar...Not at all! This is a hard-at-work female, building her nest in preparation for her soon-to-be family!













Hmmmm....It would appear that hubby is nowhere to be found at the moment.....
"Where IS he?" she wonders. "He KNOWS I needed him home this afternoon to guard our colorful siding from thieves!" "I'm ALWAYS the one who ends up doing ALL the work! Well, if he ever decides to wander back here, he's going to get a BIG piece of my mind; that's what HE'S going to get!"













Oh look, here's comes the happy wanderer now. "Ok....Lookin' good. Doesn't look like she's home yet. I'll just dive in, get settled and she'll never know the difference. Hee-hee-hee....I'm a pretty slick old bird."
"Yea...I got it made in the shade. I believe I have time for another quick soar around the block!"














"You've been cleared for landing, dude!" "Ahhh, Home Sweet Hom............"
BONZAI!!!! "YOU SORRY SON-OF-A-SEA-HAG!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU HERE? CAN YOU NOT DO ONE THING I ASK OF YOU? YOU SORRY SACK OF POND SCUM!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I SAW IN YOU!! MY MOTHER TOLD ME YOU'D NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING!!!"
"WHA....? WHERE....? FINE! I do NOT have to sit around and listen to this!! I'M OUTTA HERE!" The ostracized Osprey flew....and flew.....and flew.













Lap after lap he flew around their home.....
But each time he flew by their nest, she only turned her back at his pitiful attempts to apologize.

...Until he resigned himself to the fact that tonight, he would be sleeping on the guest wire.

3 comments:

  1. Great series of pictures. I love the one of the bird with the trees looking black in front of the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly is an awesome photographer and thank you for noticing. I've picked out some other photos I'll be posting shortly. He HATES that I'm putting them on my blog, but I want to share them. This blog doesn't do them justice, but at least people can enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good story to go with the pictures. Great pictures. Love ya Carly

    ReplyDelete